Monday, July 2, 2012

Peaceful Love Rock Festival, Burger King, American Kids Avoid Arrest, Zombie Restaurant and MORE!

It's Monday and that means it's time for a current event's blog.

If you are a follower of both the blog and the videos that I post you are probably aware that last week I did not have a proper current events video. The fact of the matter is that there just weren't enough stories to report and I didn't feel as though they were interesting enough to keep you guys entertained and therefore I had just talked about what was going on for me. Luckily this week there have been a number of stories that I can comment on and therefore there will be a proper blog and video. This week I am also going to try something a little bit different. Not only am I going to talk about some of the news but here on the blog I am also going to include some of my opinion too. I am not sure how it will go with those of you who are reading this but be sure to let me know and maybe we will continue this type of thing.

Peaceful Love Rock Festival 

Okinawa has it's share of awesome events here throughout the year but one of the best in my opinion is the Peaceful Love Rock Festival. If you are not familiar the PLRF is a two day rock and roll festival that happens in one of the local bull rings. There are a wide variety of bands from and different styles. From what I understand these bands are either invited or they audition for their slot. Tickets are about $40.00 per day which is a BARGIN for the amount of bands that you can see some of which could be such names as Orange Range who is a well known band from here in Japan.

Going to this festival is tradition for myself and my husband and we have been going each and every year. Usually we go for both days because we want to see certain bands but because of obligations and the upcoming trip that I will be taking we plan to only attend for the first day. This is an extremely enjoyable event although it can be hot and requires a great deal of preparation. So what can you expect if you want to go to this event. It is an outdoor concert and it's hot. It's also one of those venues where you are going to find yourself sitting either on the floor or on chairs if you choose to bring them. If you do please be considerate for the people around you and sit in the back so those who choose to sit on the floor are not blocked by you. If you choose to bring your kids that's fine although I would steer clear away from bringing very young children due to the heat but again that's completely up to you. There is food and drinks. Also there are most certainly alcoholic drinks so be aware of that if you would prefer not to be in an area where others may be consuming alcohol. For the most part there is an understanding that you conduct yourself a certain way and people seem to do well with this however I would not rule out the chance that there could be some sort of drunk guys stumbling around. Actually I actually guarantee it.

American Kids Avoid Arrest

Two American dependent children have avoided arrest after setting up bowling pins across the Okinawa Expressway. Bother children were under the age of 15. The Okinawa Expressway is very similar to what you would call a highway in the United States although this is a toll road. These two children put bowling pins across the expressway and therefore cars passing by hit them causing damage to the vehicles. Luckily no one was injured including the kids or the drivers however there was damage (as one might imagine) to the cars after hitting the bowling pins. The Japanese Police required the children to cover damages of the vehicles and issue formal apologies but did not arrest the children. They had explained that the children are young and therefore they would avoid charges. This, however, did not end the story for the children. Both were confined to the military bases until arrangements were made to send them back to the United States.

This is an unfortunate and troubling story for me. To be completely honest the first thing that comes to mind is that these two children are incredibly lucky that during the time that they were placing these bowling pins they were not hit by an oncoming car and potentially killed. They were also incredibly lucky that a larger accident was not caused resulting in injury and death. With these two things in perspective it is hard for me to think that the punishment they received is unjust.

Osprey

Clarification was made by the US government that the osprey will be departing from all of the military bases in Okinawa and not just MCAS Futenma. There is really not much more to say about this story to be completely honest other than the fact that this should be a concern for everyone who lives on or near where these planes will be flying. At this current time the US government is trying to deny that the aircraft is unsafe although there have been countless occurrences which go against this claim. Personally as an American I don't think that this aircraft is worth the risk both for the men and women who are on board and for the families both American and Japanese who are in the path of this aircraft.

OTHER JAPAN NEWS

Did you know that there is going to be a Resident Evil restaurant in Tokyo? That's right in fact this restaurant is opening up here on the 13th in Shibuya. For those of you who don't know Resident Evil (or as it is known here Biohazard) is a video game about zombies (and much more but I am not a gamer so please feel free to leave more info in comments below). There is also another version of this game being released here soon and therefore the best thing to do to promote that is to open a theme restaurant here. So they are doing that.

Before anyone who is reading this asks yes I will be in Tokyo during this opening but I will not be attending. Not only am I not a fan of the video game but I also am not willing to stand in the lines that are going to be outside during my trip. I will be with my mom and there are other things which are important to me so I am going to take advantage of those things rather than going to this place. Don't worry though I am sure that there are going to be a ton of other people who will be out and sending you videos and photos and all that great stuff about this restaurant.

This is basically all that I have for now. I am sorry that I do not have more and I hope that you didn't mind my opinions being thrown in there here and there. Until next time thanks for reading and I hope that you enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment