Friday, August 17, 2012

Fan Mail Friday: August 17 2012

When is a good time to come to Japan? 

The best time to come to Japan really depends on where you want to go and what you want to experience. For me I don't like the cold weather so going to Hokkaido in the winter time seems a little bit ridiculous but coming to Okinawa in the winter time is perfect because for me it's like perfect fall weather which is a time I am most comfortable with. There are people who I have spoken with from the souther US who don't think Okinawa bad in the summer but then there are others who can't stand the heat in Tokyo during summer so again it all comes down to your personal preference.

Would you agree that Okinawa is definitely less crowded than mainland? 

 

No I would not agree. Okinawa is a very small island with a very limited space for people to live between the mountains up north, military bases and the historical sites. The small areas where people can live are usually very crowded with as many as almost 5000 people per square kilometer in places such as Ginowan. From my understanding this number does not include the American population on this island so as you can imagine the number gets greater. Although places in mainland like Tokyo for example are comparably as crowded I would not "definitely" agree that Okinawa is less crowded than mainland.

Is it going to be raining in late August when I travel to Okinawa? 

 

Of course I could not really tell you whether or not it is going to be raining but what I can tell you is that it is not rainy season so the odds of it raining all day every day (unless of course we get a typhoon) are slim. This is not to say we won't get a shower or two during your trip but for the most part you should be good to go.

Where can a gaijin get a haircut? 

 

There are a lot of places which will cut your hair here and do a great job. The only time that I have ever heard that a salon can't do it is if you have African American hair in which case I am told from those with experience that they really just don't get the proper concept for cutting hair. I would imagine that this is also true for those with extremely curly hair as most of their stylists know how to deal with straight hair.

Whoppers. Where can I get one? 

 

The bad news is that if you do not have base access right now there is no place for you to get a whopper on Okinawa. Although we are supposed to get a BK in the near future it has not opened yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment