Sunday, June 17, 2012

Thirteen year old performs, Muslims enjoy Ryukyu food and Guchol: This is current events.

Another week has gone by and during that time there have been a few interesting things happening here in Okinawa as well. One of the most interesting things that I have found myself reading about this week is the recent decision that a 13 year old girl will be performing at the Peaceful Love Rock Festival this year. This performance will take place on the first weekend in July as it does every year for the past 30 years. This year is scheduled to be a very special year as it marks the 30th anniversary of the two day concert which brings together bands from all over Japan. I am sure that it will also be very special for this young girl who will be the youngest in history to perform. At this time we do not know what it is that she will be performing nor do we know when but it is sure to be an enjoyable time.

The Okinawa Tourist Association was pleased today to reveal that now Muslims who travel to Okinawa will have the ability to enjoy the cuisine of the island without having to worry about the religious obligations that they have not to eat pork. Here in Okinawa pork is a staple of the diet which means those who choose to visit the island are not able to eat the many delicious dishes that signify the Ryukyu era. This has changed now, however, due to the willingness of some facilities to prepare the dishes without the pork. I am not sure how this will affect those who are vegetarians and whether or not another animal was used in the preparation of these meals but I would definitely head over to the Okinawa Tourist Association and ask for more information if you are interested.

And now for the story which is taking everyone by storm. . . literally. Guchol is still on it's way. As I look out my window I see some blue skies so I can not be sure exactly what the weather conditions look like outside at this current time. I will be checking back throughout the day to give weather updates. That being said the storm is still a category four and is scheduled to have passed by us within the next 24 hours meaning that today will be the day when we experience most of the storm. As I have been saying in other posts that I have written the house is all taken care of and ready to go for the storm and the weather channels have finally got to the point where they have come together and recognized that the storm is out there. I anticipate that we should be seeing some more storm like weather within the next 1o hours or so but at this time we still do not have much to go on.

Finally to close this little current events post I would love to tell you what to look forward to in the coming week on both the blog and over at Youtube. Today over on the channel you will see a video talking about these topics as well as an update about the weather that we are experiencing. If the storm begins to start kicking I will make sure that I am also providing coverage of that whenever possible. On Tuesday keep an eye out for a video which will talk about learning Japanese here in Okinawa as well as encountering those who are learning English here as well. On Wednesday it's time for another JVLOG and you can look forward to some great topics like "tatemai" and "honne" as well as listen to me discussing some of the things I find interesting about different parts of Japan. Thursday will be a special Katventures video for those of you who are interested in traveling to Tokyo Disney Resort. I will be talking about the hotels which are on property and the interesting benefits that you get when staying at one of those hotels. Finally on Friday it's "Fan Mail Friday" when I am going to answer any questions that I have received throughout the week and maybe talk about some of the comments that I received. If you are interested in having some of your questions answered on Fan Mail Friday please leave them in the comments below or shoot them over to me at Facebook. You can also see a number of pictures that I took yesterday during a bike ride that Rusty and myself took on the Facebook page. Thanks so much for reading and I hope to see you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment